Regular Women’s Exchange meetings encourage women to learn more about the needs of women and children in our local area. Topics of recent Women’s Exchanges have included:
● “Local Women in Politics” – discussing the challenges and accomplishments of women in local public service positions. A panel discussion with Sonya Reece (Normal City Council), Millicent Roth (District 87 School Board), Cheryl Gaines (Normal City Council), Karen Schmidt (Bloomington City Council), and Beth Kimmerling (McLean County Coroner).
● “Walk in My Shoes: A Poverty Simulation and Panel Discussion” – gaining a new perspective on the issue of poverty. Panel moderator, Sandy McGhee (U of I Extension Educator), Dr. Mary Campbell (Associate Professor Emerita in Social Work, ISU), Mary Ann Pullin (Executive Director, Home Sweet Home Ministries), and Karen Zangerle (Executive Director, PATH).
● “Health Literacy for All” – A panel on health literacy examining how the quality of communication surrounding health issues affects the ability to advocate for ourselves and others. Panel moderator, Dr. Janet Krejci (Dean, Mennonite College of Nursing), Joelle Clifford (Breast Health Navigator, Community Cancer Center), Angie McLaughlin (Executive Director, Community Health Care Clinic), and Dr. Lynn Westcot (retired parish nurse).
● “Celebrating Women’s Diversity” – exploring the challenges faced by women of color and diverse cultures and ethnicities in our communities. Panel moderator, Deanna Frautschi (retired Executive VP of Human Resources and Communications, COUNTRY Financial) and graduates of the first class of the Multicultural Leadership Program, Lauren Kim, Nina Olvera, and Monica Williams.
● “Women and the Justice System” – learning about the effects on children when their parents become involved with the justice system. Speaker, Elizabeth Robb, Chief Judge of the 11th Circuit.
Our next meeting will be in June. Check back here for more information in the weeks ahead.